Thursday, October 13, 2011

Similes

So the post I'm currently analyzing doesn't really have a lot figurative language.  Thus I was thwarted in my efforts to find some good similes, hyperboles, or onomatopoeias. I was looking forward to finding some good ones because I love saying those words.  But never fear: I did find some; they're not so great but nonetheless I did find them.

The first one is a metaphor.  At first I thought it might be a vague simile, but doesn't have "like" or "as" therefore I don't think it can technically be a simile.  So I'm pretty it falls under the classification of metaphor.

The author says, "... in a country run by billionaire oligarchs and their political pawns..."  Basically the author is saying that the true rulers of Russia are a few very wealthy people who are controlling the "leaders" of the nation through manipulation. Now, I don't know if this really counts because it very well could be true.

Later on in that same paragraph, we find a much better example of a metaphor. The author says, "Cold Peace remains chilling." This is a wonderful example of a metaphor. He is saying that even though the Cold War is over we are still threatened by the dangerous arsenal of Russian weapons and equates this to a cold chill.

Other than that, I didn't really find any figurative language.  I guess the author isn't really into the whole "Rosy fingered dawn creeping over the hills" stuff.

3 comments:

  1. You should be proud of the fact that you did find some, and that you didn't give up! I commend you for your pursuit of figurative language!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree finding and categorizing figurative language can be hard, especially when there isn't much figurative language to find.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. Mine was like strictly informational 100%. I don't see a lot of chances to use figurative language in that kind of writing. Mine was rhetorical question.. haha so I don't really know if mine counts either! :/

    ReplyDelete